Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ginger Mojito Recipe



Ingredients

  • 10 fresh mint leaves
  • 1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar, or to taste
  • 1 cup ice cubes
  • 1 1/2 fluid ounces white rum
  • 1/2 cup club soda
Place mint leaves and 1 lime wedge into a sturdy glass
Use a muddler to crush the mint & lime to release the mint oils & lime juice.
Add 2 more lime wedges and the sugar, & muddle again to release the lime juice.
Do not strain the mixture.
Fill the glass almost to the top with ice.
Pour the rum over the ice, then fill the glass with carbonated water.
Stir, taste and add more sugar if desired.
Garnish with remaining lime wedges.
WOW! What a refreshing and easy drink to make. I am not a big drinker (of alcohol) so what we did after the first drink was start playing around with non-alcoholic versions. We made one with just club soda, but didn’t think it had any “kick” to it. I think it would have been good with tonic instead, but we didn’t have any.
The second non-alcoholic mojito we made we used ginger ale. That one was GREAT!
Each time we made one, we just kept adding to the mint and lime that was already in the glass. I realize after a few of these we would have to take out the lime and mint left-overs to make room for the liquid.
My mint has been growing well this year. It is a bit leggy in the spring so as I started to cut it back I would stash some mint leaves in the refrigerator. It was time to make a mojito using my homemade ginger beer. I used the basic ingredients from the above recipe, but I  did not add any sugar since there is already sugar in my ginger beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment